MODULE 2 - Moldings and Ornaments of style painted in trompe-l'oeil
Come and study with award-winning decorative painting artist Michel Nadaï! The focus of this course will be on building a much greater understanding on the techniques of trompe-l’œil, covering the theoretical aspects as well as the actual painting techniques. Each panel you will execute in class will take into account the training that will lead to mastery in painting trompe-l’œil. Design of panels provided by instructor.
Dates: from October 22nd, 2018 to November 23rd, 2018 (5 weeks - 175 hours of class)
Venue: Our next autumn/winter session will be held in our new atelier in the town of AGEN in the Lot et Garonne.
To facilitate transportation and also to give access to a wider choice of accommodation, we decided to move to the town of Agen that can be conveniently reached easily by train. Agen can be reached by bullet train from Paris, either directly from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport or from Montparnasse train station (quicker). It can also be reached by flying into either Bordeaux or Toulouse International Airports and then connecting train ride to Agen. For more information on accommodation in Agen and how to get to the new venue please don't hesitate to write to us.
Who can apply: This course is open to beginners or professionals, looking for a complete and in-depth training in rendering decorative moldings and ornaments painted in trompe-l’œil.
Michel Nadaï, recipient of the Meilleur Ouvrier de France award (Best Craftsman of France award).
Caterina Manisco (for week 5 - techniques of Grotesca)
Certification of the course :
Students receive the school's Certificate upon completion of the course. Certificate will mention that he or she studied with a recipient of the Meilleur Ouvrier de France award (Best Craftsman of France award).
Highlights of the program:*
• Elements of Light and Shadow
• Techniques of striping and faux molding :
- using the proper tools to create the linings
- study of various types of filets (linings) that compose a molding
- study of various molding profiles
• Techniques of ornamentation painted in trompe-l’œil :
- transfering the design using the pouncing technique
- using the proper tools to render the ornaments of style painted in trompe-l'oeil
- creating aged effects and patina of ornaments painted in trompe-l'oeil
• Composition of Style
• Techniques of Grisaille
• Techniques of painting a Grotesca panel
• Students will render several beautiful panels - design will be provided by the instructors.
Training method and certification of the course:
- Theoretical explanations and demonstrations on a daily basis.
- Immediate hands on practice through daily exercises.
- Students create individual panels on canvas (design provided by instructor).
- Instructor folows through each student's progress on a daily basis.
- Students receive a Certificate upon completion of the course.
SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE to see photos!
PROGRAM by week*
Week 1 - October 22nd to October 26th, 2018 (5 days)
Trompe-l'oeil Level I - Introduction to trompe-l'oeil
Learning how to create linear trompe-l'oeil (linings), to render moldings of style painted en trompe-l'oeil
Week 2 - Octobre 29th to November 2nd, 2018 (5 days)
Trompe-l'oeil Level II
Introduction to rendering trompe-l'oeil easel painting
Weeks 3 and 4 - from November 5th to November 16th, 2018 (10 days)
Trompe-l'oeil Level III
Decorative panel with ornamentation of style painted in trompe-l'oeil and central decoration treated in Chinoiserie style or grisaille.
Weeks 5 - from November 19th to November 23rd, 2018 (5 days)
Decorative panel painted using techniques of Grotesca and tempera.
*highlight of the program is for informative purpose; the program may therefore receive modifications if necessary.
*Possibility of taking the module in its entirety, or taking the week(s) of your choice. Please contact school for more information and to learn about registration procedures.
Back to COURSES